New York Civil Rights & Criminal Defense Lawyers

Legal recourse for victims of unjustified police shootings

When you get hurt because of a police shooting and there is no reason to think you are a serious threat, it is called unjustified deadly force. Law enforcement officers may only use such force when faced with a genuine and immediate threat. This threat must pose a significant danger to their own safety or the safety of others.

In these situations, you or your family can legally ask for compensation to make up for the harm and losses you suffered.

Legal avenues for victims

There are different ways to get justice and compensation if you are a victim of unjustified shooting. One way is to start a civil lawsuit against the police department that the officer works for. This helps victims hold the agency accountable for the behavior of its officers and seek financial reparation.

Criminal charges and accountability

In cases where evidence indicates negligence or recklessness, you may file criminal charges against the involved officer. The nature of these charges varies depending on how bad your injuries are. This avenue serves to ensure accountability within the law enforcement community.

Seeking justice for wrongful death

Families who have lost loved ones due to unjustified deadly force can also seek justice through legal channels. They can file wrongful death claims against both the officer responsible and the agency employing them. These legal actions not only seek compensation for the family’s loss but also aim to hold the officers accountable for their actions.

In the aftermath of police shootings resulting in injuries, victims and their families have legal options to pursue justice and compensation. By understanding these legal paths, those affected by unjustified police shootings can work toward accountability and restitution.




Recent Posts

Tell Us About Your Case

Fields marked with an * are required

"*" indicates required fields

I Have Read The Disclaimer
Click Scroll